Search by Topic

Join our mailing list!


Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the BTU newsletter!

January 4, 2011

20 Conn. school kids sickened by carbon monoxide

The Associated Press

WATERBURY, Conn. — Twenty grade-school children in Connecticut have fallen ill to a carbon monoxide leak and have been hospitalized.

Waterbury Fire Deputy Chief Rick Hart says an access door to a water heater at the Barnard Elementary School was broken, and it vented carbon monoxide onto the second floor Tuesday morning.

St. Mary's Hospital spokesman Joe Connolly says the students are in stable condition and have an excellent prognosis. The students, who are between the ages of 8 and 11, were to be released Tuesday.

Hart says one child passed out and another youngster complained of dizziness and nausea.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
He says carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous because it is has no color, taste or odor and symptoms of poisoning can be confused with those of a flu.