Search by Topic
Join our mailing list!
Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the BTU newsletter!
January 27, 2016
2 teens die after drinking racing fuel, soda
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A poison control official says two Tennessee teens are dead after drinking a mixture of racing fuel and Mountain Dew, and two others were sickened by the mixture they called "Dewshine."
Tennessee Poison Center Medical Director Donna Seger says the teens evidently thought they could drink methanol, which is extremely toxic, as a substitute for ethanol, the ingredient in alcoholic beverages that causes intoxication.
Seger says the Robertson County teens didn't realize drinking methanol could kill them, and she called last week's poisonings an accident.