Search by Topic

Join our mailing list!

Loading...

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the BTU newsletter!

August 5, 2013

1 dead from exposure to CO at NC farm

The Associated Press

FRANKLIN, N.C. — Authorities in western North Carolina say one person died and 16 others were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a packing facility at a farm.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that Matt Mason, assistant chief of Clarks Creek Fire and Rescue, said emergency responders found two workers unresponsive Friday inside a refrigerated packing house where fruits and vegetables are stored.

Mason said one of the two workers suffered cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at Angel Medical Center in Franklin. The other was airlifted to Greenville Memorial Hospital in South Carolina. His condition was unknown.

Mason said four bystanders who stopped to help and 11 emergency workers and sheriff's office personnel were also overcome.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mason said the N.C. Division of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating.


Search