Search by Topic

Join our mailing list!

Loading...

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the BTU newsletter!

January 29, 2016

145 sickened from carbon monoxide leak at Texas school

Associated Press

BEAUMONT, Texas — Authorities say at least 145 students and staff members at a Southeast Texas middle school received hospital treatment after an apparent carbon monoxide leak Thursday.

Beaumont emergency personnel say the children and adults from Marshall Middle School were being treated Thursday for injuries not believed to be life-threatening. Officials at Baptist Beaumont Hospital, Christus Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth hospital and Victory Medical Center reported at least 145 patients from the school were treated for exposure to the toxic gas. All were treated and released.

Beaumont Fire-Rescue officials say paramedics were called after a student lost consciousness. Numerous students and faculty reported symptoms including nausea and headaches.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Beaumont school district officials say the initial investigation shows there was a leak in a gas boiler. Friday classes have been canceled.


Search